WOO HOO, it’s June! Time to enjoy the good weather. Kids love summer because school is out and every day becomes a “play” day. Adults…not so much. We still have work to do, housework to deal with, and all those other responsibilities that kids don’t realize go hand-in-hand with the alleged “freedom” of being a grown-up.
But being a grown-up doesn’t mean we can’t also make the most out of the summer. We work hard, we deserve a little playtime. Here’s my shortlist of things that should be on everyone’s summer calendar:
- Theme Song. Yeah, this is kind of critical. Your summer theme song should be upbeat, catchy, and make you smile. This is the song you’ll crank in the car, or while at the pool or the beach. Your toes should tap of their own volition. It should make you smile. In fact, it should make you want to get up and dance. Mine? DNCE’s Cake by the Ocean. It may have come out last fall, but it is a summer song if I ever heard one.
- Farmer’s Market. Local grown fruits and veggies are everywhere, so it is easy to eat healthy. I love strolling through our local farmer’s market and picking out fresh tomatoes and flowers. Mine also has one group that makes the BEST pesto (which, if I pick up fresh mozzarella, basil, and Italian bread, makes one great sandwich). So look around your ‘hood and grab some stuff you can use for item #3.
- BBQ. Yep, time to kick off summer by inviting friends over for a casual BBQ. Few things say summer like a grill and eating al fresco. Whether that means burgers, dogs, and corn on the cob, or fancy steaks, is up to you. The key to a successful BBQ is actually the company. So ice down some beer (or white wine) and call your besties!
- Summer-Only Recreation. Take advantage of opportunities that can only come around at this time of year (well, at least for those of us who live in the Northeast). I’m talking about drive-in movies (yes, they still exist, although they are few and far between), outdoor summer concert series (we have great ones in Connecticut and New York), and swimming (whether you prefer a pool or a beach).
- Beach Books. This is the best time to pick up a few summer romances. Read those smarty-pants book club books some other time. It’s time for “summer lovin’!” Of course, I’d love for Secretly Hers to be on your summer romance reading list, but I’ll also recommend a bunch of other authors you can try:
Heartwarming: Kristan Higgins, Marina Adair, Gail Chianese, Liz Talley, Jeannie Moon, Tamra Baumann, Shelly Alexander, Miranda Liaisson *both Tamra and Jeannie are up for Booksellers Best Awards this year
Spicy: Regina Kyle, Jamie K. Schmidt, Erika Kelly, Megan Ryder *both Regina and Erika are up for Bookseller’s Best Awards this year.
Historical: Julie Anne Long, Lisa Kleypas, Elizabeth Hoyt *(I LOVED EH’s latest, Duke of Sin, and its amoral yet fascinating hero! Such fun). *Julie Anne Long is up for a RITA this year, with It Started with a Scandal…one of my all-time favorite books!
Hopefully this has given you a place to start your summer. I hope you have a great one! If you’ve got a tip or reading recommendation to share, please do!